The goal of any negotiation is to get the other side of the table to see things your way. Hmm, how are we going to make that happen? What you are going to have to do is to become skilled at finding ways to support the position that you are taking. In order to get better at doing this, I’ve got 5 tips that will boost your skills…
Tips For Reaching A Deal Faster
If you want to be able to reach a deal with the other side of the table faster, then you’re going to have to take the time to give some thought to what it’s going to take in order to get them to see things your way. In other words, you’ve got some persuading to do. Here’s how to make that happen:
- Free is Good, Very Good: If you need to get your message across to the other side of the table and for some reason they just won’t listen to you, you’ve got to do something that is going to get their attention. Offering them something for free just might do the trick. A free offer more often than not can cause the other side of the table to open their minds to what you are proposing – sure, you’re giving something away, but you might end up getting a lot more in return.
- Save the Best For Last: When negotiating about a given topic, you’ll end up discussing many different viewpoints. This means that some of the viewpoints are going to be important to the other side of the table, and some aren’t. You need to take charge of controlling the order in which the viewpoints are presented. You need to do this because you must make sure that the other side’s favorite viewpoint is the one that gets presented last – you are going to want to leave them happy.
- It’s All About The Middle: When we are negotiating, we may end up presenting a great deal of information to the other side. Let’s face it, there is no way that they are going to remember everything that we’ve told them. This means that we’ve got to realize what the other side will remember: the start of our conversation and the end. This is where we need to pack in the biggest part of our deal making efforts..
- It’s All About The Ending: All other things being equal, it will be the last few words that came out of your mouth during a negotiation presentation that the other side of the table will remember. This is always true, but it can be even more true when the negotiation is dealing with= a topic or subject that the other side is not as familiar with.
- Credibility Is Built, Not Bought: In order to be able to successfully reach a deal, you are going to have to find ways to get the other side of the table to believe what you are telling them. This means that you’re going to have to build up credibility with them over the course of the negotiations. The way that you do this is by always being right – you need to b accurate when you make statements. By doing this, you will become more and more believable.
What All Of This Means For You
Every negotiation has the same goal in mind: finding a way for all parties involved to reach a successful deal. The challenge comes from finding a way to get from where everyone starts out to agreeing on that deal in the end.
Skilled negotiators know that they need find ways to support their position if they want to have any hope of reaching a deal in a reasonable amount of time. In order to make this happen, you can use the 5 tips that we’ve discussed in order to steer the other side of the table towards the deal that you want to strike. Try them out and you’ll be amazed at how much quicker you’re able to wrap-up your next negotiating session!
– Dr. Jim Anderson
Blue Elephant Consulting –
Your Source For Real World Negotiating Skills™
Question For You: What should you do if during a sales negotiation you become angry and don’t feel like wooing the other side of the table?
P.S.: Free subscriptions to The Accidental Negotiator Newsletter are now available. Learn what you need to know to do the job. Subscribe now: Click Here!
What We’ll Be Talking About Next Time
In every negotiation, you’ll eventually run out of things to say to the other side of the table. I mean, come on, you’ve already said everything. In fact you may have already said everything more than once! You need to be careful when this happens, either side may feel like giving up without having reached an agreement. Never fear, I’ve got 3 techniques that you can use when you encounter this situation that are guaranteed to turn things around: